Monday 19 March 2018

Cold Wars - Day 2 - Epic Armageddon Tournament

Hello All,

Just back from Cold Wars 2018, a yearly gaming convention that a few of us head to every year in March. As I have the last couple of years I participated in the Epic Armageddon tournament which is allot of fun.

This year I finished off a new army and took that to try, the Sisters of Battle as you have seen in the last few posts.

My list event was:

Mission with Rhinos and Supreme commander
3x units of Exorcit Tanks
1x unit of Immolators Tanks
1x unit of Seraphim
1x Dominion unit with rhinos
1x inqusitorial storm trooper unit with valkyries
2x units of Lightning Strike Fighters
2x units of Marauder Bombers


Game 1 vs Eldar (Iyanden):

For the first game I was set to face the Eldar, a tough opponent for the first go with a new army, and first game in awhile!


I spread out along the center, the Eldar concentrated in 1 spot. First blow of the battle was some pheonix bombers coming out and doing some good damage to my mission killing the rhinos. I brought in some fighters to try and shoot them down.


The battle continued from there. I brought in some more fighters and shot down a bomber this time. Most other units spread out and advanced getting ready for turn 2. One of my tank units got a bit to close to the Eldar Web way gate. This let an infantry unit double out and shoot them up pretty bad. I learned from this that wraith guard units are pretty brutal.


Towards the end of turn one. I called in some bombers and moved up some immolators to try and put pressure on the wraith units coming from the gate. Most other things spread out.


All the planes come back ready for the next turn.


I brought my seraphim in by the woods in the far left corner to threaten some of the tanks there and be close to the blitz. The eldar brought in an avatar which can't be good!


Things really heated up when the Eldar doubled with a big tank that has s wraith gate. Then launched an assault on my sister's squad through it. This crushed them pretty hard getting a break there sprit objective for destroying my most expensive unit.


I tried bombing them and asaulting with my dominions but this got me no where really but put them on my blitz objective making thing worse. Ther really are hard to kill.


As you can see the amount of dead is really piling up. I am still trying to put pressure on tge unit on the right. My goal is to get take and hold with that objective and the blitz.


More fighting back and forth. I have my storm troopers and bombers really putting pressure on that unit on the right but they just won't die. Same for the unit close to my blitz. Really the only thing keeping me in the game at this point is the eldar keep rolling 1s and failing activation tests.


End of the game, in the final tally no one was able to score 2 objectives so the game went to pints killed. I lost that by a decent amount I think. My retrospective for this game is I probably put to much focus on fighting the strong units. Should have taken out the weaker tanks and super heavies first.

Game 2 vs Chaos Marines (slanesh):


Set up for round 2. Another fun game, thus time the terrain is even better with a cool chutch for thw sisters to reclaim, couldn't resist putting an objective there! This time I mainly put infantry in tge middle and tanks on the flanks.


The chaos got thing going attacking my tanks. We both had allot of planes so this kicked off a bit of an air war.


This was going bad for me so I gave up and bombed a unit on the right. Sadly I didn't get a picture of it but a thunder hawk with a noise marine unit attacked my sistets unit, people like assaulting them. But they some how lost badly due to some lucky dice rolling. I then counter assaulted beating them up pretty good and putting break there sprit within my reach.



 Getting ready for turn 2.


Terminators wrapped in by my storm troopers and I put my seraphim behind the big forest by the noise marines. Sadly the chaos forces got the inital I've and crushed my Strom troopers with an assault. The a tank unit with a second one! I launched my own with the seraphim and the noise marines with just a dreadnought. Kept focus on him to finish the unit.


The battle for the middle heated up.  I was trying to take put rhinos to limit their mobility and also clear out some pesky AA tanks to help my bombers.


Lots of assaults resulting in lots of dead stuff again. But the Sisters are sticking it much better. They are giving as good as they take and having more activations is paying off.


Managed to scrap out a win this time. I think it was break there sprit and the blitz objective. At on point I was close to going for defend the flag but never had the strength to hold all three.


Sadly the monestary was left in enemy hands. At this point I am really glad I took the seraphim also. Good fighters and lots of ability to move around.

Game 3 vs Space Marines:

Final game was against the Space Marines. A bit less pictures at this point as I was getting tired, also this was a really fun game so that can be distracting. Back into the Grove of epic again.



All sprwad out for war.  Seems a bit thin for the marines as they have a lander with half an army. Lots of planes again as well which is fun.

Considering I had a big advantage turn one it went kind of bad for me. Lots of marines passing saves.


Turn 2 is where the action is however. A lander with 4 formations a very able army drops from space behind my sister's unit easily crushing it. But taking some losses. Thus was just cool.


But I strike back with everything I can bombers and Strom troopers and eventually tanks layering allot of damage.


Gets to a point where there is not so much left. Objectives mostly forgotten at this point. But I have as lost some of my units that advanced a bit to much last turn. The marines land speeder formation is turning out to be a real pain.


Turn 2 as we keep killing each other I was heading towards defend the flag and they shall not pass. This forced the marines blitz to cross over doing some damage and blocking that bur leaving theirs open.


Battling it on in turn 4 the fow turns to blitz and take and hold. With more unbroken units I was able to defend a bit and hold on objective on the far right. You can kind of see everything now focusing on the enemy blitz. I managed to march the seraphim there, and they held off another small alder assault and a good bit of shooting.  I brought my air force in to help break the contesting units. Sadly I was over focused on the lander and neglected to shoot at the single rhino contesting it!

Well with that blocked I just had take abd hold vs the marines with break there sprit so it went to points again. This time I was down by just 52.5 points! Man that is close.

So was a really fun tournament for me and a pretty good showing I would say with 1 win and 2 lost ties.


I was asked to comment on the sisters as well sonce this army is still a bit in development.  I think they are pretty good and fun to play. A bit like marines with a bit better numbers maybe. Decently tough units with good saves and lots of close range fire power. I really like the tank units. They kins of lack in long range firepower, especially anti-personal maybe. This was my first time playing them so I can't claim to know it all.

I really liked the seraphim and immolators were better then I would of thought.

The special faithful rule seems pretty pointless to me thou, not sure how to make use of that, but seems like more of a fun flavor thing.

Also personally I would like to see some of the other units you can get from Onslaught represented like bikers or Athens units but that is personal opinion. It is a cool army and I do like them.

Thanks;
Mike

Post for day 1 of Cold Wars to follow obviously!






1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a lot of fun. Some really nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete