Monday 5 March 2018

Battle Report - New Saga

Hello All,

Had our club day on Sunday and got to try out the newly released version of Saga! Took a bit of strong arming to get someone to play but no matter.

Overall result is that all the changes seem positive and it makes for a better game. I think it will fix some of the strange problems in the Arthur book but we will see about that.

Anyway the only scenario so far in the new books is Clash of Warlords, so we took that. I decided to try out the new byzantine as most if my armies are in bad shape or not magnatized.  I would be fighting the new Vikings.

Game 1:


There is a roll at the start for type of deployment we got along a diaognal (aka Pizza Deployment). Point of the scenario is murder so who ever does the most points of murder wins. As you can see we are set up, the vikings were the first player and took the hill.



The vikings set up some abilities to attack but disn't move much. I advanced with my bows and used the indirect fire ability to shoot up the berserkers. Was hoping for 1 or 2 kills but got 3! Units outside of 12" get a free mI've now so I adjusted my other stuff.


The vikings didn't like being shot so pulled back to the hill.


I moved far out with some mounted hearth guards, but killed a disappointing amount of levy and was left exhausted.


The vikings of course crushed this unit. Hmm...


Never one to learn from mistakes I charged in with the next mounted unit killing some warriors, this was a bit better. My other guys keep using manuvers to give chase.


Repeating history the vikings crushed this unit also. But they had a bit harder go of it.


Not really many opportunities for crazy charges left. So I took to shooting. My archers killed a couple of guys, but a viking ability made them exhausted.


Feeling under pressure the vikings came down off their hill with their hearth guards to fight some warriors. This went ok is for them but basically break even on points. On my turn I charged in to the bows with ny warlord to scrape up another point or 2.


So that was that. I was slightly ahead on murder, but not quite by enough to claim a win. But I learned that the new closing ranks option works great with bonus defense dice. But still need to keep your army together.

Game 2:


On to game 2, this time I was the first player and we got hot dog deployment (long edges). Terrain was left in place due to lazy Ness.


I moved up my bows and shot a warror,  shifting some units to get ready for the counter strike. We started closer thus time so there were less manuvers after the first bit.


The attack came as expected. On the left they knocked out 7 bow warriors but lost w hearthguard.  On the right it was much worse trading 2 guard for a single warrior.


My goal was now clearly to finish off those half units to take away their saga dice. This was a complied,  but I lost half a unit of warriors. Not bad.


Viking warriors come for revenge!


Did some more damage to my warriors leaving just 2 for no loss. I countered with my last mounted unit. Ended up trading units.


The vikings made another charge targeting my last mounted unit, but I used another ability to force them to charge my archer. But this left the mounted troops exhausted, may not have been worth it.


Ran out of pictures but a bit more murder happened. Those vikings killed most of my mounted guys, but took some losses. On their last turn the viking warlord charged but was forced to fight my unit of just 2 warriors.

At the end we both had 18 points of kills. In the pictures it seems like the vikings have allot less left, but their warlord for this game was a special character so worth a point on his own. The meant we had another draw.

Final analysis is that I am a fan of the new rules and look forward to more games. Really looking forward to the book if battles and crusades book as well. Here's hoping we don't have to wait to long!

Thanks;
Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment