Wednesday 6 December 2017

Battle Report - Flames of War Bagration Campaign - Turn 3

Hello All,

So on Sunday we had the next day of the clubs on going Flames of War Campaign. I was attacking and had firestorm troops of Panthers and half tracked infabtry, left off the tracks. So bearing that in mind I thought it would be a fun opportunity for a kampfgruppe Bake list.

So I had Bake, 3 Panthers, 2 Panthers, 3 Tigers, and infantry. The Russians had lots of everything,  guns infantry tanks.

We rolled and got bridgehead. So the Russians were defending and semi surrounded.






Here is the inital set up, I have 2 Panthers and the infantry way back in the fields, 3 panthers in the close woods and bake and tge tigers behind the hill. Russians have some tanks with very high anti-tank in ambush so my plan is to 9 stay in cover and be careful.


Blitzed the tigers up on the hill to take shots at some guns killing one, everything else but the infantry stayed gone to ground.


The Russians didn't deploy their ambush but bombarded my infantry pinning then.


Next turn things heated up. Some tanks showed up and the ambush popped and killed a tiger that got stuck up on the crest of the hill due to a failed shot and scoot.

I decided to focus on the t34s and did good damage to them, plus a long shot got one of the tank destroyers in the side knocking him out.


Next turn the tank destroyers blitzed to shift a bit. The t34s managed to bag a second tiger which I felt was not good. Also more tanks arrived but I still felt u would win the t34 battle.


At this point I realized I had to get near the objectives ASAP or loose. In thus mission the attacker has to be with in 8" on turn 6 or they loose so I got on that and kept killing t34s.


Next turn,  kept pushing. Panthers a preaching the mines as Bake finished the t34s off. The remaining tiger who keeps passing last Stand tagged a tank destroyer at extreme range on a 6 to hit and killed it. The advancing panthers got the other. This put me in a good spot but still worried about assaultinvesting the infantry, and only have 1 more turn to get near an objective.


Assaulting the Russian commanders.


The Russians did the best ot clog up the 2 Panthers but they assaulted as above and got just within 8". On the other side my 3 Panthers drove through the mone field  ( first time I saw that happen) and also got within 8.


This left them close to the woods, so that Russian infantry got to assault with out me getting defensive fire, I forgot about that. But thankfully they got no kills.


From there the Panthers kept assaulting, even the tiger into the woods. It turned out the remaining guns were pretty light and couldn't damage a panther even from the side, I was pretty lucky about saves and the tiger staying all this time and they got ground down.


In the end the russians decided they couldn't hold and conceded.  Only German casualty was the infantry. Some Russian mortar blitzed on to the table. Turns out they have volley fire so my guys got hammered really hard.

Was a real fun game hope the Russians felt the same way!

Thanks;
Mike

1 comment:

  1. I certainly do feel it was a fun game, even though I seemed to roll well when I didn't need it, and like crap when I did. Lesson learned for me is to take a bit less indirect fire stuff, and maybe beef up my infantry to pioneers to get a better AT assault.
    Well played Mike.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete