Thursday 13 October 2016

Battle Report - Epic Armageddon

Hello All,

Time for another Wednesday Battle Report! This week we are playing a game of Epic Armageddon. I decided to sign up for a tournament at Fall-In, so would be good to have a test game to try out a force and get the rules down a little bit better. So far I am thinking about doing an Imperial Guard Army, mostly as it has the most recently painted stuff. My Eldar forces are old so they look a bit crap.

Armies:

Imperial Guard, Steel Legion:


Here is the guard army with a Leman Russ Tank Company, Armored Infantry Company with Hellhound flame tanks attachment, Artillery Platoon with 3 Basilisks, Baneblade, Sentinel Platoon, Storm Trooper Company mounted in Valkyries, a Warhound Titan, and 2 Thunderbolt Fightres (yellow planes only thing not offical models).

TEF:


Facing off I have a TEF army mostly with models from Microworld. They are based on the space marine stats but I fudged units to match what I had and made some new ones up. This army has a company of Infantry mounted in Scarab APCs (Spacemarines with Razorbacks), 2 units of 6 Landhawks (Space Marine Attack Bikes), 6 Dragonfly Gunships (Landspeeder Typhoon), a unit of 3 Warthog SAM (Hunter), a unit of 3 Warthog AA (hydra Flak Battery), 3 Komodoo Tanks (Predators), 2 Bombers, and an Infernus Heavy Tank (modified Shadowsword). I would say the main issue this caused it for the tanks they are sold in 3s but really should be 4. So I costed them as what 4 tanks would cost, but this maybe gives them a bit more activations then they really should.



Here we are all set up after deployment, most stuff ended up on the left side. I have the Sentinels over there, the tanks behind the hill, the armored infantry and baneblade bunched up by the river. Then the artillery, storm troopers, and titan on the other side on the mountain.


Right off the bat the TEF brought in some bombers to attack my tight formation, they killed a couple of transports and their occupants doing a bunch of pins, and put a couple on the baneblade. I brought in my fighters to attack them hoping to kill, but they did not much just getting a pin. So the start was not great. The Infernus also moved up and vaporized most of my artillery guys.


Here we are at the end of turn 1. The Storm Troopers have moved up behind a small wood on the right to get in striking range of the Marines that moved to cover the objective in the big wood. Have my titan in support. The armored infantry and baneblade have moved up and spread out towards the objective by the river bend. My tanks supported by the sentinels moved into the mid field near the square ponds. I want to get some shots on the Infernus hoping it would die, it did not.


Poor Sentinel facing lots of gunships.


My big plan for turn 2 was to assault the marines with my storm troopers. But they failed to activate, so instead the just hovered there and played cards.


Turn 2 is where things really became not good. My tanks took lots of fire and pulled back a bit. I moved my infantry up into the forest, but they got basted by machine guns despite having cover and after almost all died fell back broken. My titan killed most of the komodo tanks, so something was going well. My Sentinels fired a few shots a the landhawks but didn't get any kills. Allot of the marine stuff fired on my tanks, but weren't able to get to many kills, so at least I had that. Turn 3 is where the objectives start to count. But I am not really getting much damage out so that is a problem.


Turn 3 I finally got to press my assault. So my Storm Troopers flew into a close engagement against the space marines. My idea was that I would mostly just have their transports fighting against all my stuff, with a couple of marines. This was true and I got a good amount of hits, but all but one were saved and I lost 2 stands. When we rolled for the result and added the casualties and all I lost by 1! So it was my formation that was broken and had to fall back. The marines were the most expensive unit on that side and there is an objective in the woods, so would have been a good win.


On the other side I was under allot of pressure. But I managed to get a few tanks on the enemy side to prevent a loss on turn 3, but took allot of fire. Killed a bit of stuff thou so wasn't totally useless. Got rid of the AA warthogs so that was something.


On to the final turn. My Storm Troopers failed to activate again, so no second chance to get the marines, and my titan got broken and I think then destroyed. On the left things were also not good. The TEF circled around my beleaguered tanks and fired them to broken, with around half now destroyed. The Landhawks then went for a close assault with supporting fire from the Dragonflies. I had allot of pins  and was out numbered, but had hope that the good saves on the tanks good keep me in it. In the end of all I lost by 1 point again! Since the tanks were already broken this meant they were now destroyed. That was my most expensive unit (650 out of 2500!) so gave the break their spirit objective. In the end the TEF were quite successful acheiving 4 of the 6 objectives (only need 2 to win).

So that was a fun game, but not exactly a victory. The fighters seemed to most useless to me so I think I will  change my army a bit and get rid of them. The artillery didn't do anything either but that was mostly my fault, so fair enough.

Army wise I think the few small units the TEF had gave them a bit of an advantage, probably will get a few more and move to companies of 6 maybe. Probably will get rid of the marines special rule as well, but that will change points maybe I am not sure exactly. But I like that army even thou it is not really 40k stuff.

Thanks;
Mike

1 comment:

  1. Awesome game write up again. Had a great time. Both assaults could have gone both ways.Thanks for the game.

    ReplyDelete