Wednesday 26 August 2015

Somali Pirates & Old West

I got a bit more painting down over the last little while. We are working on a Maersk Alabama scenario and I was assigned to paint some pirates, so I have been getting a few of those done. Nothing super serious just a few packs from Khurasan, I have 2 packs finished now so thought I would toss up a picture. These are in 15mm.


I didn't know what to do with the basing, part of me says sand. In the end I just glued them down and painted it red-brown to hopefully roughly match the deck color. I figure this can be temporary and I can always put something over it if I decide later. So I have 4 RPG guys and 2 machine gun guys with 2 loaders from the heavy weapons pack, and then 8 guys with AK-47s. I have another 5 of the AK-47 packs but I probably will only do 2 or so more. My latest instructions are for 24 pirates. I also have 2 small boats with a few guys riding to do.

They don't look super great but just going for a few quick pirates.

Paints Used:

GW: Black Spray, Leadbelcher,Chaos Black, Mordian Blue, RedI forget which one

Vallejo: White, Wood Grain,  Chocolate Brown, Deck Tan, USA Tan Earth, Luftwaffe Green, Beige Brown

Foundry: African Flesh Triad, Dark African Flesh Triad

Army Painter: Flesh Shade


In addition to the above Stan was showing me some of his Old West stuff when he was ofer the other week, and it got me thining shit I want to do some Old West gaming! So with that in mind I ordered up the Dead Mans Hand book and a few buildings, and in a flurry of inspiration decided that I needed to re-base some of my Old West guys to the new standard, so they will look better in a game which is surely to come.

I painted these guys a few years back, so there are for sure some things I would do differently now, but they still look pretty good. So I popped them off their GW bases and put them on some renendra ones with a magnetic bottom and did a bit of a better basing.


The black with red accents looks good, but the boots are bad. I will likely end up re-basing a few more guys in the next week or some. Hopefully the book comes in soon and we can try out a game. I am not sure how good it will be but they seem to have some fun ideas, if not can always just go back to playing Legends of the Old West from GW which I really like.


Pledge Status 2015:
Bought: 220 
Painted: 120 (16 Pirates, I count 4 15s as 1 point)
Total: -100

Thanks;
Mike

3 comments:

  1. The Maersk Alabama is currently sitting on my gaming table and the deck is probably a bit redder than your bases but it is close (they are pretty close in colour to the deck of the pirate mother ship).

    The pirates themselves look pretty good.

    Thee cowboys look good as well -- I really should paint the Mexicans I have had sitting around forever (maybe some time after I get my 15mm Vietnamese painted...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah sounds like I am in the zone then for the bases so that is good. Hopefully I can get the rest of them painted this weekend.

    ReplyDelete